We're thrilled to announce that the first look at the upcoming Fleet Carrier update will be coming to your screens on Thursday, 2 April
! Lead Server Developer, Dav Stott, and Game Designer, Luke Betterton, will join us on a special video to talk us through what these vast vessels are and how they'll be shaking up the galaxy!
Since the initial reveal of Fleet Carriers, we've examined the concept of predefined load-outs and decided to invest additional time to ensure that fleet carriers offer the same level of flexibility and customization as other ships within Elite Dangerous. We've done this by adding more loadout options to make your carrier unique, and allow for player-to-player interaction like you've never seen before in Elite Dangerous!
Squirming in your cockpit chair wanting to know more details? Here is some key information on Fleet Carriers - but for the entire content reveal, tune in to our Pre-Recorded Stream on YouTube, on 2 April at 18:00 (UTC)
. Although we won't be live, our team will be there in the chat to answer any questions that you may have.
- One of your most frequent questions about Fleet Carriers was: How much do they cost? Fleet Carriers will be a lucrative investment, costing 5,000,000,000cr at launch.
- Fleet Carriers are individually owned and feature 16 landing pads (of varying sizes) for other players to dock at.
- Fleet Carriers use a new fuel, Tritium, to jump from system to system.
- Fleet Carriers have a max jump range of 500LY at one time, with the ability to jump whenever the owner wants, however, they will have a build up and cool down period between jumps.
- You can manage your carrier's finances by setting tariffs and adjusting the buying and selling prices for commodities traded in it's market.
As it currently stands, we're aiming to launch the Fleet Carriers update in June and will be calling all commanders to experience Fleet Carriers (as both visitors and owners) in two upcoming public betas before the update is live! The first beta will begin on 7 April
for PC only, and the second beta which will be launched on PC, Xbox and PlayStation, will take place in May
. Please note that there is a chance that these time frames may change slightly in the coming weeks, but we'll keep you up to date on the specific times, dates and instructions.
See you there, Commanders.
We’d like to take a moment to update you all on what’s happening at Frontier with regards to COVID-19, and what you can expect from us in the foreseeable future.
In order to safeguard the health and safety of all Frontier employees, we are implementing a work from home policy across the studio.
Frontier’s games and channels bring joy to the community, and we are all united in our love of these fantastic worlds and the positive impact they produce; this is why we are working hard to avoid any disruption and will do our very best to keep you updated and entertained throughout this challenging time.
Our games will continue to be supported (including online functionality), and at the moment we do not anticipate any major changes to our plans across all titles. However, with the situation changing daily, we will keep you informed and appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to bring the best gaming experiences to our players. Our Communications team will continue to be active across our channels, including forums, Reddit, Discord, and social media; our Customer Support team will continue to offer help and support through our dedicated support channels, and game teams will continue their work on future updates and releases.
As an added precaution, we are restricting work-related travel for the time being, which means we are not attending any events at the current time.
Our hearts and minds are with you and your family; we will continue to monitor the global situation and will adjust our operations as necessary, and keep you posted.
Please stay safe and healthy, and thank you for your ongoing patience and support.
The Frontier team.
The Elite Dangerous team would like to take this opportunity to celebrate you, our commanders spread across the galaxy, with the possibility of featuring you in one of our upcoming videos!
The video itself will be a bit of a surprise, but in preparation for it, we'd like you to provide us with screenshots of your Holo-Me avatar as they appear in the Holo-Me customisation screen, making sure to capture the whole screen so we can crop the image appropriately (example below).
Send your screenshots to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
along with your CMDR name included! Only entries matching the description above and using the email subject: "CMDR Holo-Me Screenshot - CMDR XXXXX
" where "XXXXX
" is your CMDR name, will be accepted. If you would like to submit your Holo-Me, please do so by Monday 30th March
. Not all entries are guaranteed to be included and we reserve the right not to include a given submission for any reason.
Thanks for your help, commanders - fly safe! o7
We will be releasing the January Update - Patch 2 on 21 January
at 12:00 PM (UTC)
for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. This patch includes the stutter issue fix that we introduced in January Update - Patch 1[forums.frontier.co.uk]
on PC, for players on console.Please find the Patch Notes below:Known IssuesThargoids
- Thargoid Hearts can still sometimes become immune to damage. Thanks to logs provided by commanders, we have been able to add some more focused telemetry to identify causes of the issue. Please continue to contribute your netlog files via Issue Tracker should you encounter this bug.
Crashes & Stability
- Fixed a stuttering issue caused by requesting data for all planets on arrival in a system (console only, this fix has been introduced in January Update - Patch 1[forums.frontier.co.uk] for PC).
- Numbers are no longer being cut off from signal source names in the Navigation Panel.
- Fixed a crash which could occur when an Imperial Fighter is destroyed in CQC.
- Fixed an issue that meant Thargoid Combat Bonds were not always being awarded.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the Conflict Zone victory tracker to disappear.
If you encounter a bug or issue, please do report them straight to our Issue Tracker[issues.frontierstore.net]
so that we can investigate!
An update to Elite Dangerous on PC will be released at 12:00 PM UTC today (15 January). This is a client-side update and there will be no downtime, however a game update will be required.Please find the patch notes below:
- Fixed a stuttering issue caused by requesting data for all planets on arrival in a system.
As mentioned in our January Update - Patch 1 Announcement[forums.frontier.co.uk]
thread, this patch will be available for consoles next week. We will also be releasing a concurrent patch for all platforms that will address a number of other high priority issues. We will have more information about what fixes will be included in this patch early next week.
If you have encountered a bug or error with the January Update, please do report this straight to our Issue Tracker[issues.frontierstore.net]
so that we can continue to investigate!
Thank you for your patience while we investigated some of the issues that have arisen during the January Update. We have determined the cause of the stuttering issue that players have experienced upon exiting hyperjump and we will shortly be releasing a patch to fix this. Please see below for when the fix will be released on your platform:
- PC - Wednesday 15 January at 12:00 UTC
- Xbox and PS4 - Next week (beginning Monday 20 January) - Exact date to be confirmed
Alongside next week's console patch, we will also be releasing a patch for all platforms that will address a number of other high priority issues. We will have more information about what fixes will be included in this patch early next week.
If you have encountered a bug or error with the January Update, please do report this straight to our Issue Tracker[issues.frontierstore.net]
so that we can continue to investigate!
The January Update is now live
This update is part of our plan to address recent and longstanding issues, fixing as many high priority bugs and issues as possible:Exploration
Following the feedback gathered from the open beta, we've implemented an alternative solution to help mitigate the long delay when scanning planets with geological/biological sites. Now, when scanning a planet, commanders will receive an indication of the likelihood of that planet having any geological/biological sites ranging from Unlikely, Likely or Very Likely. Alternatively, commanders can wait for the full scan (which takes a little longer) to complete to get an exact number of geological/biological sites. Background Simulation and Powerplay
We've introduced a number of new Background Simulation states which can threaten a faction's economic and security prosperity, as well as introduced a number of Powerplay fixes and recalculations to better improve the feature.
- The new Faction States are Blight, Natural Disaster, Infrastructure Failure, Drought, Terrorist Attack, and Public Holiday.
We've also implemented fixes when mining in a wing for those lucrative deep-cores, taking on seeming-invincible Thargoids, Collector Limpets scraping against one's hull, rubber-banding ships and visual artifacts ruining well-timed screenshots. Click here to read all of the fixes in the January Update![forums.frontier.co.uk]
Please find the Patch Notes for the January Update which launches on the 14 January
. The Elite Dangerous servers will be offline for all platforms on 14 January at 09:30AM (UTC)
for approximately 3 hours as we apply the January Update. This time may run over, so we would appreciate your patience as we are implementing these changes.
We wanted to thank you all once again for your help, and feedback during the January Update Beta, as well as your ongoing support for Elite Dangerous. We will continue to use this process for the the future updates throughout this year, and if you would like a recap from our previous post about this year's plans, you can read it here[forums.frontier.co.uk]
As always, we'll keep you updated across all of our social channels.
Please find the Patch Notes
- Balance improvements for the generation of ARX, particularly for exploration-related gameplay.
- Fixed audio issues with the Generation Ship, 'The Golconda'.
- Audio logs obtained from the Golconda can now be played in the Codex.
- Fixed missing audio and text for female crew members.
- Fixed a bug where none of the Guardian articles in the Knowledge Base would play their associated audio.
- Fixed a bug which meant that an audio effect on firing Pulse Lasers would loop indefinitely.
- Fixed a looping audio issue with the Shutdown Field Neutraliser.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when attempting to enter the 'Network Options' screen.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when mining in Ice Rings.
- Updated the way we check a player's entitlements to fix an issue where the Horizons update is not being recognised as installed.
- Fixed a crash which could occur when an Imperial Fighter is destroyed.
- Fixed a softlock when entering Supercruise with "The Lucent Embrace" Megaship targeted, after launching from Forester's Choice.
- Fixed the issue that meant some deliveries made to repair Thargoid-attacked stations were not being counted.
- Added new Faction States:
- Factions having trouble with water supplies can now sometimes suffer a Drought, causing an economic downturn. This can be countered by importing water and other emergency supplies.
- Infrastructure Failure disrupts a faction's operations and reduces both security and economic standards. The increased demands on infrastructure elsewhere in the star system may lead to similar failures for other factions. Food and machinery deliveries can speed up repairs.
- Terrorism. Terrorists can target prosperous factions, resulting in a significant security and influence cost. This can be countered by legally selling weapons to the authorities and assisting with bounty hunting efforts, or by the faction entering a Lockdown state.
- Natural Disasters have a significant economic and security cost for a faction. A natural disaster puts extra strain on the star system's infrastructure, increasing the chance of drought or infrastructure failure for other factions in that system.
- Public Holidays increase a Faction's influence and standard of living for their duration, however that comes at small economic and security cost.
- Fixed the icon for the Blight state.
- Added newer Faction States to the Galaxy Map's list of State filters: Blight, Natural Disaster, Infrastructure Failure, Drought, Terrorist Attack, and Public Holiday.
- Fixed an issue where the factions selected for 'Installation Scenarios' were the installation's owner instead of the system controller.
- Added names for a selection of systems in the Witch Head Sector.
- Implemented a number of improvements to Conflict Zones which should improve stability.
- Fixed a bug when entering a Conflict Zone, it appeared as empty.
- Fixed issues caused when Capital Ships arrived.
- Fixed an issue that caused allied Capital Ships to open fire at friendly ships.
- Implemented an alternative solution to help mitigate the long delay when scanning planets with geological sites.:
- As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible), which can take tens of seconds.
- As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data, and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
- It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
- If the commander wants to have a definitive answer without travelling to the body they can still wait for the scan to complete in FSS. This data is also now shown in the body details on the system map.
- Thargoid, Guardian or Human sites will show up instantaneously. These results have moved to the stellar body details shown on the right in the zoomed in FSS view.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the search function on the Galaxy Map from working correctly.
- Fixed an issue with the Navigation Panel that incorrectly displayed if a planet had been mapped or not.
- Instead of showing a notification for each individual asteroid belt cluster discovered, we now condense as many as we can into one message.
- Fixed an issue where is was not sometimes possible to select asteroid ring hot-spots from the cockpit.
- Added a 'Help' section to the main menu and pause menu with links to Issue Tracker and Customer Service sites (both will go through an external web browser).
- Moved 'EULA' to the new Help section.
- Expanded the faction alignment page in Squadron menu to display influence to 1 decimal point, to match how it is displayed in other areas of the game.
- Fixed an issue that meant players couldn't search for commander names that included an underscore character.
- Fixed an issue that meant the 'Data Point' reset timer didn't appear on the player's screen that initiated the scan, but did appear on others' who were in the same wing.
- Updated the livery icon for 'The Scourge' decal to correctly match the decal that's actually applied to the ship.
- Fixed an issue occasionally causing some wing invites to not be sent to players in other instances.
- Fixed an issue where some Navigation Panel entries could be blank.
- Dropping out of Supercruise on a wingmate using nav-lock will no longer drop the player a significant distance away.
- Fixed incorrect system description for 'Alioth'.
- Fixed a small typo in the description of "HR 7221 Wheat".
- Fixed various typos in the Pilot's Handbook.
- Fixed various typos in some of the Challenge Scenarios.
- Fixed a pluralisation issue when discovering clusters.
- Updated text descriptions for high-end minerals to show correct economies with a demand
- Introduced a speculative fix for a softlock that could occur when completing trades at a Material Trader.
- Fixed the issue that could lead to the detonation graph not appearing if deep core mining with a wing.
- Fixed a disconnection ("Magenta Krait") that could occur whilst mining.
- Fixed a deep core mining issue in multicrew where different crew members would see different detonation levels in the HUD.
- Fixed Subsurface Displacement Missiles in multicrew.
- Fix for a bug which made Seismic Charges instantly detonate in multicrew/wings.
- Updated misleading retreat mission text - it was suggesting that the mission was helping the withdrawal of the faction, when in fact it should aid the faction in staying within the system.
- Fixed a softlock that could occur when browsing lists of missions.
- Fixed an issue which caused cargo canisters to continually respawn in Planetary Salvage Missions.
- Fixed an issue which meant that the mission target could be missing from Eliminate Enemy Captain missions.
- Fixed a bug which meant that a 'Disable the Megaship turrets' mission would not show a time limit in the mission board.
New Player Experience
- Fixed an issue that meant the player could get 'stuck' waiting for zero throttle (when the throttle input is just above zero) in the New Player Experience Tutorial.
- Fixed issues with ship rubber banding.
- Integrated Oodle network compression library to reduce network bandwidth.
- Fixed missing/blank entries in journal when selling exploration data.
- Fixed an issue where the mouse input didn't work on the Power Contact screen.
- Control systems' ethos calculations now limit their search for controlling minor factions to star systems within 15 LY, that are exploited by the same power as the control system. Previously, the calculations considered all nearby star systems.
- Fixed reallocating Exploit systems, and recalculating the income for a Control system when a revolt system within 15 LY loses control.
- Recalculated many Exploit systems value that did not match their current population.
- Recalculated many Control systems income that was not the sum of their Exploit systems, plus their own value.
- Removed obsolete Confirm button from Power Contact screen (it was superseded by the consolidation mechanic a long time ago).
- Fixed an issue which meant that some systems were not being locked when a system moved from 'Preparing to Taking Control'.
- Fixed an issue that was causing visual artifacts when capturing high-res screenshots.
- Fixed a visual issue rendering neutron star jet cones.
- Increased the Dolphin's heat dissipation rate and maximum heat capacity before it begins to take damage. Also increased the rate that it takes damage, to account for the ship now being harder to heat up.
- Implemented a speculative fix for Collector Limpets damaging ships when retrieving mining fragments.
- Added the ability to rescue any crew, that were on board the player's ship when it was destroyed, from the insurance screen.
- Rebuy cost in the right hand cockpit panel now includes cost to rescue crew.
- Crew rebuy costs rebalanced based on Beta feedback.
- Fixed directional decals being reversed.
- Fixed the Holo-Me view being obstructed.
- Fixed control input being lost after interacting with an inbox message.
- Implemented speculative fixes that should reduce instance splitting when fighting Thargoid Interceptors.
- Updated the Thargoid combat state to ensure it's correctly replicated over the network to reduce the occurrence of the heart cycles resetting.
- Fixed an issue that caused Thargoid Combat bonds to not be correctly given out to all applicable players in a wing.
- Fixed an issue with Thargoid Hearts becoming immune to damage when in a wing.
- Fixed the issue that meant players couldn't sell anything to a market if the buy list was empty.
- Added supply and demand volumes for certain, high-end minerals. Now, trading goods such as Void Opals is more realistic; markets can still offer a high buy price, but they will offer less as the demand is met. As part of this change, these high-end minerals will now be demanded more by specific economy types. This change will affect the following commodities:
- Low Temperature Diamond
- Void Opal
Happy New Year!
As we enter 3306, we would like to tell you about the next update coming to Elite Dangerous!
Thanks to all the commanders who joined in the beta back in November, we're happy to announce that the January Update will be launching on the 14 January
! As we mentioned back in October[forums.frontier.co.uk]
, the first half of this year's updates will be focused almost exclusively on Fleet Carriers and fixing as many high priority bugs and issues as possible, ensuring that the game runs as smooth as a freshly-purchased Cobra MkIII. To be clear, this means that Interstellar Initiatives/Community Goals will be on hold while we focus on the subsequent series of updates and betas that will be coming over the following months.
Much like the January Update, these updates will be accompanied by an open beta, allowing commanders to jump in and see the content before it's released, as well as help us identify any major issues or bugs. We'll be providing more details about all of these updates in the near future, so keep an eye on all of our usual channels.
The team are hard at work on the next major milestone coming to Elite Dangerous at the latter end of this year and, as also mentioned in the previous post[forums.frontier.co.uk]
, we'll be ready to start revealing more about this after the Fleet Carriers update. We know you're keen to hear more, and we're excited to be able to show you what's to come!
As we approach the end of 3305, we wanted to take a moment to thank each and every Commander who has joined us in our own slice of the Milky Way this last year!
This was a year of celebrations for the studio as we celebrated 35 years of Elite (1984)[forums.frontier.co.uk]
, 25 years of Frontier Developments and our recent 5th year anniversary[forums.frontier.co.uk]
. These celebrations could not have happened without you, our community, passionately supporting us over the years, and as a special thank you, we are also running a competition with the chance to win an Alienware Aurora R8 Gaming PC[gleam.io]
Throughout this year, we've paved the way for new cadets to earn their wings with the introduction of the April and September updates, bringing in the New Starter Experience
, Supercruise Assist
and Advanced Docking
modules as well as a number of quality of life changes and improvements. In preparation for next year's January Update, you joined us for the open beta[forums.frontier.co.uk]
and aided in the development of Elite Dangerous by and jumping into the beta, reporting issues and bugs and sharing amazing feedback!
3305 also saw the arrival of the Interstellar Initiatives; Bridging the Gap
, The Enclave
, The Scourge
, and our most recent, The Golconda
. With your very actions, you helped shape permanent changes to the galaxy, from the creation of a Guardian-excavation hub to the colonisation of the Witch Head Nebula; the introduction of new rare goods and BGS states, as well as shaping the future of a forgotten people found adrift among the stars.
While we'll be celebrating the holidays with loved ones in our home stations, don't hesitate to share your messages and get in touch with us through all the usual channels!
We are looking forward to the year 3306, with the introduction of the long-awaited Fleet Carriers and more details about what's in store for the future of Elite Dangerous! Join us for our first Let's Play livestream on the 6 January
at 12:00 (UTC)
. We'll see you there!
The Elite Dangerous team